The Danforth Military Trail, started by American Col. Asa Danforth in 1799, was built under contract to the government of the time. The trail enters into the valley from Pickering and to a location where a bridge once stood over the Rouge River. From the other side of the river the trail goes west into Toronto. When the trail approaches the valley floor it turns west where a number of ruins can be seen.
Turning east is a smaller trail which goes toward the mouth of the river, and along this is the remains of the Cowan Hotel which served sailors from Pickering Harbour.
Photos include: Danforth Military Trail, still wide enough to take wagons; the Rouge River beside the Cowan Hotel; chimney remains of the two-story Cowan Hotel.